Sunday, February 9, 2014

286 : Wise Words from my Mom

My mom had a saying that she had used with me many times in regards to parenthood.

Just when you think you can't stand it anymore, it changes.

She had used this phrase with me when my first son was an infant.  He wasn't sleeping through the night yet and I was exclusively nursing and EXHAUSTED.  And sure enough, right when I thought I couldn't take one more night of it, he slept through the night.  He didn't sleep perfectly every night from there on out, but it was enough to make me believe.  I know the phrase was used again with me after my second son was born, although given all the changes in my life at that time, I can't remember the circumstance specifically.  Then, there was last Sunday.  Yes, last Sunday, I thought I was going to lose it. My kids were bad.  Both of them.  Very, very bad.  They got into the fireplace (twice) and threw all the rocks in there on the carpet.  Timeout #1 of the day.  They threw their pasta dinner all over the ground thinking it was hilarious.  Timeout #2.  And finally, while brushing their teeth that night, my oldest grabbed some scissors and cut (yes, CUT!) his younger brother's hair.  I was so furious, I didn't know whether to scream or to cry.  They must have felt the wrath, too because they both went to bed immediately that night without any hesitation.  So now, one week later, I feel as though I must acknowledge the wise words of my mom again, after enjoying a very pleasant day with my kids.  This morning we started our day at a leisurely 7:30.  The boys played nicely together while I made breakfast and tidied up around the house.  Now they were still 1 and 3 - that would not change.  But our day was fun with no major meltdowns.  We had a birthday party in the afternoon and when we got home they went right to bed.  A week ago, I thought I couldn't stand one more minute of it.  And then it changed.  I was smart enough to know today could have just been a pure coincidence, but nonetheless, I would take it.


No comments:

Post a Comment