Sunday, February 2, 2014

279 : Plan a Date with Yourself

Yesterday was a complete success.  I got through the day (a blizzard, too!) with two toddlers all by myself.  I will say that again, all by myself!  We went to get haircuts first thing in the morning.  And then we went to my 3 year olds new sports class.  Of course my 18 month old insisted on participating, so I spent the hour toggling between the two of them which was a work out for me.  I knew lunch would be tricky since the class ended at 11:30 and they would both be starving the second we walked in the door, which is why I prepped everything that morning before we left.  After lunch, I got my youngest in bed for his nap and my oldest and I watched Despicable Me 2 (or at least we rented it- we both fell asleep).  We all woke up at 4:30 and since I had no food in the house- or milk for that matter- we went to the grocery store.  I scored the race car cart and then bobbed and weaved down the aisles amidst the chaos of both boys.  Thank god for samples.  (Which, by the way- turns out my kids love spinach dip.  Who would've guessed?)  We got home, got everything in the house, put groceries away, made dinner, ate dinner, cleaned the kitchen, got them both to bed (we'd do baths tomorrow) and as though it were magic, they were both out.  That's when my date began.  My date with myself.  I poured a large glass of red wine.  I made mussels with tomatoes, white wine and of course, garlic.  I cut some crusty bread for dipping.  I made a fire.  And I sat down to enjoy it.  All by myself.  And the best part about it?  I was completely content.  Happy in fact.  I had made it through the day with my kids.  Happily.  All by myself.  That was worth a toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment