Saturday, February 22, 2014

299 : Get Out of Your Comfort Zone

The older I got, the less I enjoyed trying new things.  Well, that's not entirely true- I always like going new places for vacation or trying new restaurants.  I think what it came down to, was there were fewer people and social events for which I wanted to invest.  I had become selective over the years.  I had my friends and I wasn't always open to new situations that would introduce me to new friends.  And then suddenly you are divorced, and you have no choice but to try out new social situations.  I could still admit though, this was an area that I was not yet entirely comfortable.  I had been invited to a dinner party by a friend at work a couple weeks ago.  I can't say I knew her really well, but some girls that I did know were closer with her and they encouraged me to come along.  So, what the hell, I decided to go.  I know this may seem odd, it was only dinner, how bad could it be?  It's not that it would be bad at all.  It would just be different.  Unfamiliar.  When I was younger I was more open to these type of experiences, but the older I got, I just wanted to feel comfortable.  I didn't want to have to 'be on' during my downtime.  Yet, I knew that this past year had been all about change.  I accepted the dinner party invitation whole heartedly, knowing that I had nothing to lose and only things to gain.  It was worth a try, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment