Thursday, February 13, 2014

290 : A Gift

Last night was supposed to be my Ex's night with our boys.  Every Wednesday, he would come to the apartment and I had a couple hours of freedom to do whatever I needed.  But early that morning, he texted me there had been a situation at work.  He was unsure if he would be able to make it.  He wanted to give me ample notice.  I appreciated this, as even though it was the day of, the circumstance was not his direct fault and notifying me as soon as he learned of it was improvement.  Perhaps a few months ago, I would've been furious at this situation because should I have a work problem pop up, I would just have to figure it out.  I was responsible for our kids at all times by default and it felt like he was not.  But last night for some reason, I almost felt relieved that he had to cancel.  It was cold outside and all I wanted to do after work was go home, put on my comfy pants and cuddle with my favorite 2 little men in the world.  I wanted to listen to my youngest son giggle at all the right parts of Despicable Me 2, our new family favorite (not that we watched the entire movie every night- just a couple key scenes that the boys liked).  I also wanted to have my oldest ask me how my day was, a new habit he had started as of late.  For some reason, it always seemed the nights that I was free to go, were the nights that I longed to be home.  So last night, I was thankful that the cancellation from him was such a gift for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment