Monday, December 23, 2013

238 : Start a Family Compound

Yesterday might have possibly been the greatest day of my year so far.  I woke up at my parents house around 9:30am (8:30am central time) and my oldest son was still asleep cuddled into me.  Let's stop and reflect on that for just a minute.  Awesome.  I slipped out of bed and tiptoed downstairs only to learn my parents had lost power in the night.  My mom was packing up, we were going to head over to my sister's until the power came back on.  But who knew when that would be?  We planned for the worst case scenario and loaded up all the food for lunch and dinner.  I had slept in my lulu lemons and thought it would make the most sense to just stay in those clothes- it was family after all.  My boys would stay in their pjs, too- I packed a small bag with their snow pants, diapers and a change of clothes just in case.  We loaded the 2 cars and headed over to my sisters- my mom, dad, grandma, aunt, her boyfriend, myself and my two boys.  We ended up spending the entire day- and night- at my sisters.  We got there and leisurely made coffee.  And then Bloody Marys.  And then lunch.  And then went out in the back yard and played around in the snow for what seemed like 2 hours.  There were card games.  And holiday movies.  And football.  And then the preparation of dinner (still in my pjs!) and the pouring of wine.  My brother in law at one point ran to the store to pick up a few things.  Truth be told, he may have needed an escape plan, which was okay- it was literally like Home Alone in their house.  I thought about what my Ex would have been like in this situation and immediately felt relieved that he was no longer in my life.  It was a great day- no place to be, nothing to do, no stress.  Who cared if my youngest normally napped during the day and he refused to nap?  And what did it matter if my oldest wanted to take off the cute outfit I had packed him to instead run around in his underwear?  I loved my family and was so thankful that I had not a care in the world.  It truly was a Christmas Vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment