Sunday, December 8, 2013

224 : Let Me Help

Recently, I had a very good friend call me to let me know that she and her husband had decided to get a divorce.  Theirs like most marriages, wasn't perfect, but the news still came as a shock to me.  I felt so sad for my friend.  No matter how much you tried to prepare yourself for such a decision, it was still incredibly painful when you got there.  It was quite amazing to me, that after the year I had just been through, I was the one of sound mind that she turned to.  It had been her, for so many months that provided me with thoughtful insights, support and a genuine outpour of love.  I wanted to give her all of that and more.  So today I want to remind my friend of a couple simple truths.

You are amazing.
You are beautiful.
You are so much stronger than you know.
You will get through this.

I actually knew what I was talking about.  I had lived through everything she was just beginning to embark on.  I spoke not only from the heart, but from true understanding of having experienced it myself.  Our situations were entirely different, but the wave of feelings was the same.  The confidence followed by fear followed by anger followed by sadness was all too familiar.  I was still dealing with many of these emotions today.  I had, however, moved forward quite significantly though since the start of the year.  I was thankful I could be there for my friend.  I knew there was nothing I could do to make her hurt any less, but that eventually it would hurt less.  That I could promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment