Friday, December 6, 2013

222: I am READY to PARTY!

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I was channeling Kristen Wig in the title of this post- specifically the scene on the airplane in Bridesmaids.  If you are not familiar, then you should definitely treat yourself.  It's worth it.  Oh yes, I was going to party today.  In fact by the time you read this, I might even be drunk.  Okay, for any of you early birds perhaps that is not the case, but for the rest of you who are just joining me- yes, I am drunk.  Today is my work holiday party and what that entails is drinking.  Lots and lots of drinking.  Our group worked hard all year and when the holidays came, we played hard.  Everyone- and I mean everyone- let loose.  It was one thing you could always count on.  My boss had commented in the weeks leading up to the event that she wasn't taking any of us home early (I think this was in reference to me because she was concerned I might not be able to handle myself?)  I'm not exactly sure why- the previous year, I had been suffering far worse than I was now.  My Ex (then husband) had told me just 5 days earlier that he was unhappy in our marriage.  I worried that whole week that I was going to fall apart at the party due to the terrible emotional stress I was carrying.  Instead I managed to spend the whole day surrounded by friends, smiling my heart out in an effort to hide the darkest of secrets that would eventually be known.  My marriage was over.  Wow, just even in writing this, I can instantly remember that feeling and how horrible it was.  I'm going to shake it off now because I was in a different place this year.  A much MUCH better place, and I legitimately wanted to have fun.  I was, though, still healing my mental health so while I planned to party, it was important to be mindful of a few things.  I share these for anyone who is harboring stress, suffering or just not feeling 100% and need to still carry on in the moment.  Here is my short survival guide for the day.

1.  Make sure your responsibilities are covered.
My kids were with my parents.  My nanny was paid.  My car was safely parked in my garage and there would be no driving that day.  I had nothing to do the next morning but recover.

2.  Feel good about what you are wearing.
By this, I don't just mean look hot (although that always does help).  When you are going to any festive occasion, your confidence level and mood can hinge on how you feel about what you are wearing.  Make sure you like your outfit and you feel comfortable.  Feeling good about how you look can make all the difference in the world.

3.  Know your company.
Months ago, I wrote a post about drinking (see post #5).  At the time, I was with 3 of my closest friends and I knew I was in a safe place.  I got ridiculously drunk because I knew I could.  I trusted these women more than I trusted myself at the time.  I would not encourage that type of behavior around just anyone.  And if you do get a little sloppy, then hail yourself a cab and go home!

I had my bases covered.  I was planning to have a good time and I was ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment