Saturday, December 21, 2013

236 : It Happens

My nanny shared a story with me the other day that made my heart melt.  She was with my children and my 3 year old initiated a rather interesting conversation.  He asked her if she knew that his daddy didn't live there anymore?  And before she could even acknowledge this statement he said:

It happens.  No big deal.

These two phrases were a constant in his life right now.  They seemed to accompany every little accident be it a spill on the floor or a bathroom mishap.  He would say those words and look into my eyes for reassurance that it was all okay.  It nearly broke my heart to hear that my son could take such a huge life altering situation like divorce and speak of it so simply.  I guess it left me feeling thankful though that all of this was happening now at such a young age.  He would probably never know the difference.  And his brother most certainly wouldn't know.  Our story had been a sad one, yes, but they were young and resilient.  It was true, too.  Divorce did happen.  And it was kind of a big deal, but for him to think otherwise only gave me more reassurance that we had handled it all appropriately thus far.  If there was any message from him to take out of all of this, that might have just been the best one.


No comments:

Post a Comment