Thursday, May 30, 2013

32 : Save for a Rainy Day

Save for a Rainy Day.  

This was one of my dad's infamous phrases growing up.  It took me years to really grasp what it meant.  (I mean, I knew what it meant, but I didn't always choose to live by it.)  In my younger days, I had often turned to retail therapy at a time of distress.  I'd treat myself to a new shirt, coat, pair of jeans or all of the above courtesy of my friend VISA.  It felt so good to buy something new which would be immediately followed by the feeling of extreme guilt (uh...I couldn't afford all of that).  It would've been so easy to fall apart in this situation.  My husband left me.  If ever there was a time I deserved to treat myself a little, surely it was now, right?  Well, no.  It wasn't just about me anymore.  I had two little boys who needed me now.  I couldn't fall apart.  I needed to save.  I was getting a divorce and in case you weren't aware, divorce is really f**king expensive.  I became very conscious of how I was spending my money.  I made my meals at home (which worked nicely with my WW program - see post #18).  I limited my extracurricular activities.  I made due with what I had in my closet.  This was my rainy day and I needed to be ready for it.  It wouldn't be like this forever.  I knew that I would get through it and eventually the sun would shine again.


No comments:

Post a Comment