Saturday, May 25, 2013

27 : Get an Attorney

For anyone going through a divorce (be it painful or not) a critical step in the process is to hire an attorney.  I was lucky in that my father was an attorney and he would be there for me as a resource.  However, I still needed to hire someone to represent me as the divorce became more eminent.  My parents and friends suggested I start looking for someone before I was ready.  I knew they were right, but I couldn't bring myself to take action yet.  I still couldn't believe this was all happening.  I felt so betrayed.  I was shocked.  Confused.  Hurt.  I knew when it was time and I chose to meet with two different attorneys- both referrals.  I was very anxious about it, so my friend came with me for support.  Even as we were walking to the first meeting, I still couldn't believe I was on my way to meet with an attorney to discuss my pending divorce.  DIVORCE.  I found the word to be sickening no matter how many times I heard it.  The first attorney I met with was a woman.  She educated me in extreme detail as to what my rights were.  The news was depressing.  I think it was the reality of everything and the law itself.  I cried throughout the entire meeting.  It was incredibly overwhelming to take in all of that information.  I went home, reviewed my meeting with my father, had a glass of wine and slept on it.  A few days later, I met with another attorney.  I'm sure this guy was already at an advantage in that I walked in there somewhat informed as opposed to my first meeting.  But I will say, I just got a feeling from this guy.  I can't say what it was in particular, but I just knew that he was who I wanted to hire.  Life was messy enough as it was, if I had that feeling then I had to listen to it.  I hired him a couple days later.  And so it began...

No comments:

Post a Comment